Home: General Discussions: Classes & Instruction:
Tentative start up classes

Tentative start up classes Can't Post

We've gotten a lot of interest in some things, macramé, bead stringing, looming and introduction to jewelry making, so that is where we'll probably start, then move on to more advanced, or detailed projects as the interest dictates.

Classes require pre-registration in the store, or by phone. Classes are limited to 4 or 5 people, and require at least 2, preferably 3. Class fees are non-refundable, unless the class is cancelled, but can be used for another class at a later date. Classes are tentatively scheduled to be in the mornings, from 10am to 12 or 12:30 pm, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Special classes may be scheduled for Saturday mornings. The introduction to jewelry making, due to it's survey nature, may also be scheduled for Tuesday evenings, 7-9pm.

What _actually_ happens depends on response, so TELL US WHAT YOU WANT!

Probably starting the second week of June, we'll offer:

Basic Macramé: Simple bracelet or necklace making using the square and half-square knots. Also, adding in beads and charms. $25 includes the supplies, but feel free to bring your own if you have something in mind, or something special you've wanted to put on a knotted piece.

Bead Stringing 101: Using the new fishing lines, (and a brief comparison to the old) we'll show you how to make basic bracelets and necklaces, and how it can also be used for more advanced projects. $25 includes the fishing lines and basic findings. You can bring your own beads, purchase a pre-packaged kit for the class, or pick your own beads from the store stock. Emphasis is on technique and finishing off the strands. The creativity is up to you :)

Basic Bead Looming: Simple "Indian" style loom work. How to warp a loom, and how to add the beads to make simple bracelets and chokers. These are skills you need to have to move on to advanced work. $25 if you have your own loom. $45 includes one of our home-made choker-length looms, warping thread and beads for the class. You can bring your own supplies or purchase thread and beads at the shop.

Bead Looming for Kids: We'll offer the same class as above, for kids, with a few changes. The children have to be old enough to follow direction and use a needle. Usually this is around 10-12 years old, but may be as young as 8 or 9, depending on the child. If the child is too young, they will just get frustrated or hurt, and we reserve the right to make that decision. Bracelet sized looms, pre-warped will be provided, and the children will be able to pick their colors of beads to work simple geometric patterns. $35 includes the loom, supplies, and instruction. We'll re-warp their looms for free, for additional projects after the class, as long as they have the loom. They just need to provide the thread, or there is a $2 thread fee. We'll finish off their projects if they do not complete them by the end of the class if they bring the loom back with the finished project. (Actually, we'll do this for everyone/anyone, we just figured we say that here <G>).

Introduction to Jewelry Making: I'm constantly asked "how do you do that" by people. The "that" can be anything from putting a wire through a bead, to making secure crimps or attaching findings (and sometimes really weird stuff like "Do you know of any material that can withstand 2000 degree heat for a week, and not lose it's color?" <G> But that is another story....). This class will go over the basics of jewelry making -- the tools, how to use them, the various stringing materials -- wire, threads, nylons (including the new fishing lines) and the pros and cons of each in different situations, and how to attach clasps. As I said, the basics. If there is time, also simple wire working -- how to make a loop at the other end of a head pin so you can make quick and simple earrings or charms. This is a survey class, so don't expect to "make" anything (such as a whole bracelet), but do expect to learn the techniques needed to make a bracelet, earrings or necklace, or to repair your old broken strands. Class is $30 and includes the consumable supplies with enough to take home to practice with. We'll have tools available, but purchasing your own is really the best idea. Purchase the best quality you can afford, since while tools don't make the project, they can lessen -- or contribute to -- the frustration level. At the minimum, you need round-nose pliers (and all are not created equal, or have the same size tips!), chain nose or flat nose pliers (one of them will do to start), flush-cutting wire cutter and a crimping tool. Needle nose pliers, additional round nose pliers, nylon jaw pliers and all the other items help you by having the right tool for the job, but the 3 tools I mentioned are what you will need to start, with the crimping tool only if you plan to work with wire. (You'll need the flush-cut pliers for all sorts of things). Some people like rosary pliers with their "all in one" feel. It's a personal preference. We have tools available, but please plan to purchase in advance, as we only have 1 or 2 of each item in stock at any one time! Again, class is $30 and includes supplies. Tools average about $15-18 each. We can offer a slight discount if you purchase the complete package -- in advance! :)

All classes will get a 20% discount on beads and stringing supplies. Tools have a 10% discount. You can also purchase a frequent beader card for half price the day of the class, which locks in your benefits (http://beadbanter.com/.../gforum.cgi?post=107).

We don't have on-line registration enabled yet, so please stop by the store for more details, and dates. Pre-registration is a must. Classes that don't meet the minimum 3 days prior to the class date will be cancelled.

If you are interested in a specific class, please post here, or via a private message, or stop by the store. We'll contact you when we set dates, and give you first shot at a seat.

(This post was edited by pugdog on Jul 7, 2003, 8:36 PM)

ssems

Re: [pugdog] Tentative start up classes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very interesting in any of the adult classes you are offering. I work during the day so evening or weekends only. Can you let me know what might be coming up? Thanks! ss

Re: [ssems] Tentative start up classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I'm working on a custom calendar, (one of many things) and it should have not only our schedule and events, but also a means to sign up and reserve a spot.

The current calendar only lists things, and can be accessed at http://pugdog.com/calendar

If there is something that you are interested in, let us know. We can try to schedule those classes sooner. Also, what times are good.

Maybe a poll?