Home: Announcements: Highlighted Products, Gemstone Pictures:
What's new? Larvikite

What's new? Larvikite Can't Post

We haven't updated this in awhile, but there is always something new in the shop.

We have a whole bunch of new beads out, from all over. Mostly gemstones, but also glass.

Speaking of glass, we got in some glass chunks from an old glass factory -- you know the palm-sized shards, like what was shot out of the vats when it was cooking? A variety of colors. Good for fishtanks or glass working.

We have some new materials in, in rough form, and have some chunks of Larvikite, Larkivite, or Larvakite (depending on your usage). What it is is a form of felspar, similar in appearance to a lower grade spectrolite (labradorite):

Larvikite - a plutonic intrusive igneous rock, coarse grained in texture, composed mainly of the mineral plagioclase feldspar which gives the rock an iridescent black-blue sheen when polished. It is named after the type location of Larvik in Norway.

Here is a page with a lot of information:

http://www.cst.cmich.edu/...etr1rv/larvikite.htm

We have some chunks, obviously from a broken wall tile (like in a skyscraper), or a counter top. We are playing with polishing them.