Home: Announcements: BeadCon - Pittsburgh:
Bead Con update - Weekend Workshops?

Apr 7, 2003, 6:17 PM

Bead Con update - Weekend Workshops? Can't Post

Picking up from another forum....

I was also looking at a date at the end of August.

My problem is location. I was looking at the area that bead show
was in, as well as where the turnpike hits perry highway at the edge
of monroeville, and also at the Greentree area. Access and parking
are my largest concerns. Facilties are secondary, since this is not
going to be a high overhead project, but people have to be able to
get there, and to park -- and believe that they *can*.

Anyone have experience with any locations in those areas? At this
late date, I'm not sure I can pull off an August show, unless I got
moving really, really quickly.

I would like this to be a "grass roots" pittsburgh thing, with as
many classes, projects, exhibitions, and such done by natives, and
managed by natives. Bringing in outside vendors is the key.

This brings me up to a "bead retreat" type weekend (that name is
already taken, but the concept is open). This would require at
least a half-dozen "teachers" to hold 1 or 2 workshops each, over
the course of a weekend. Participants could pick from different
classes, and make a different project or learn a different technique
in each. Finding this sort of space is easier, since the number of
participants is known, and you are looking at 100-200 people, not
1000's. A small vendors area, with 3-5 different vendors is also
possible, to add interest.

Beading101, BeadLeague, BeadMeet, or BeadScene are potential names
for the weekends.

I would really like to find a location that could handle this sort
of weekend, yet also be able to grow with us, if we expand it into a
full convention. I'd like them to support us at first - with good
rates and services, and us to support their support as we grow by
bringing in larger, and more frequent beading events.

NOTE: I'm not a "copy cat" sort of guy, so while classes would have
a prototype project, the goal would be to teach the techniques to
make the project - or similar ones, not simply to copy that one idea.
(of course, most people would be attracted by that one idea, or
picture, so it is a real-world compromise...)

NOTE 2: I have about 200 bead related domain names, including
BeadBooths.com, BeadAddicts.com, BeadConnections.com, and
BeadedProjects.com, in addition to the ones above, and those that
I'm currently using, and plan to use for web-based projects. So
finding an identity or "brand" should be possible.