Home: Business Issues and Advice: Advertising and Promotions:
Finding this forum, advertising and promotions

BeadShark
Novice

May 11, 2005, 11:48 PM

Finding this forum, advertising and promotions Can't Post

This forum seems very quiet. But I just think that not enough people know about it. I did a search for "beading forum" and your website does not show-up on the first page (Most people only look at that page, or go elsewhere). So already, there are 10 sites ahead of yours just on that page alone that people may go look at. You are in spot #14 on the google search. You aren't even in the first 6 pages of the Yahoo search.

I actually got to your site via a pay per click ad you had on the about.com beadwork forum home page. I was waiting to log in, and saw your clicker in the top and came here. (I know you don't place the ad's, the service does, for we have ppc's too).

I hate the about.com forum, so I spend most of my time in the bead and button one. I have this one up on my favorites bar and check it regularly, but it does seem like pugdog does most of the talking in here. I know you're an administrator, and your input is needed as well as everyone else. But I think you aren't getting the traffic you need.

Good luck in it. I will keep looking and keeping an eye on it.

Happy Beading!

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

(This post was edited by pugdog on May 21, 2005, 7:12 AM)

Re: [BeadShark] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually got to your site via a pay per click ad you had on the about.com beadwork forum home page. I was waiting to log in, and saw your clicker in the top and came here. (I know you don't place the ad's, the service does, for we have ppc's too).

I love that irony <G>

First time I saw it, I had an adverse reaction, then realized, they were being placed by my ad service, "unbranded" as it were.

Where are you located? I thought you were out west. From my targeting, those ads should only display to pittsburg area IP's.

BeadShark
Novice

May 13, 2005, 3:32 PM

Re: [pugdog] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

We are located in Hunters, Washington State. Approximately 2 hrs. North of Spokane.

As for the targeted area thing. I don't think I've heard of that one. I am wondering how they can target websites by just using thier .com's? Our designer kinda explained it to me, but I still don't really get it. I thought that by targeting, they meant that because our site is beaded jewelry, so therefore are ppc's only show-up on bead or jewelry-related website's. I may be wrong, for I don't set-up those.

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

May 13, 2005, 5:04 PM

Re: [BeadShark] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

The bead forum ads we run should only come up for IP's that are geographically located within 150 miles of pittsburgh. This is based on where the IP is registered as being owned/switched.

Maybe I should increase the range? The problem is that when I did for awhile, I spent a lot of money for very little benefit. Regional targeting has paid off better, over all.

BeadShark

Re: [pugdog] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering....do you use Overture, or Googleads?

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

Re: [BeadShark] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

Really pissed off at overture.

They took my money, then re-edited my ads, displaying _meaningless_ content. I've been trying to get my money back for a month now. Re-editing my ads is not something I will allow, especially if they display them without prior approval!

BeadShark

Re: [pugdog] April Member of the Month Underway [In reply to] Can't Post

We use Overture and Google ads. We were paying something like $3/day for some ads, and wern't getting much traffic from it. Our designer has switched it around to some campaign where we are only ending-up spending $1/day, and we seem to be getting better traffic from it.

I don't think Overture ever edited any of our ads, but even if they had, they should definately have it proof-read by the owner of the ad!!! That's just outrageous!

What is your ultimate goal with the ads? From what I gather from the posts in this forum, is that you are mostly geared towards getting people to your bricks and mortar store, and not so much internet sales. I may be incorrect in this, but it was just the general consensus I felt while reading posts in this forum. If it is, you seem to own an awful lot of domain names for someone who wants to get people to their physical store.

Granted, we have 22 domain names that all take you to our site, so I can see the need for having many. Are you the administrator for ALL the sites you have? If so.......you are one busy person!!! I can't imagine running a store AND trying to keep-up with all the internet stuff as well.

Is Bead Hell also a chat forum? If so.......why is there the need for 2 forums on your site? Does it get better traffic than this one? I love the domain beadbanter, it is perfect for a bead forum.

Not that I am suggesting how to run your business or anything. Just seems to me like you have a lot on your plate, and you're kinda spread thin.

Hope you can get the ad's thing straightened-out with Overture. (It's always easier to give money than to try and get it back). I know we've been gambling with the Overture and Google Ad's to see if they bring in more customers, and from what I've seen, the cost of the ad's isn't generating enough business to warrant having them. Our website is almost always within the top 5 of every search engine, so we are pretty happy with that.

Good Luck, and thank you for answering my pestering questions.

Have a great day!

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we want people to come to our store, and they do, from *all* over. Over 90% find us on the internet. We are at the top of almost all searches for "beads" and "pittsburgh" and for geo-targeted searches on "beads".

But, our goal on-line, is simply to have the largest informative network of bead sites. It takes time to do that. Also, to have a "niche" for each of our products and/or services, as well as for shows, conventions, classes, workshops, etc.

We run our own servers, so setting up websites doesn't have an incremental cost, it actually has a DECREMENTAL cost, as each new site shares the overall overhead.

Maybe at some point we'll do mail order, and if we do, we'll be set up for it. But I can't see doing that until the kids are out of school and either join the business full time, or give us the space to hire some full timers.

Pittsburgh is a large enough market for us, and while I hate to jinx myself, there just isn't enough local competition to drive the market. There are over 3,000,000 people in the local draw, more, when you specifically consider how far people will drive for beads. My biggest trouble has been getting locals to actually open the phone book, or search for "beads." They've given up, and don't know we are here. Print and radio advertising hasn't worked, *except* for Beadwork Magazine, which continues to draw in people both locally and nationally.

Of the people who come in, most say "I was searching for something else, and I foundyour site! WOW! I didn't know there was a bead store in pittsburgh." (Well, most did, but they just quit shopping there.) What they meant was a _new_ or "Other" bead store in pittsburgh. And there are really two now. Another opened before last Christmas, and she's doing a good job with it.

There is an old "established" shop that has alienated a whole lot of people, and which opened a second location (technically moving a location to a new location). When people think "beads" in pittsburgh, unfortunately, they are still the only thing that comes to mind. Pittsburgh is a slow town to change. There is a small shop in the center of town which has been around awhile. There is a small shop that also sells yarns and fibers a few blocks away from us (they actually opened at the same time we did) (actually, they opened at the same time we opened to the public, we've been "open" for 13+ years), and then there is that new shop along the river. There is also the Appalachian Rock Shop in Harmony, and 1 or two other rock/mineral shops in town that have started to carry beads.

And yes, I do all the web work, as well as higher end database/website development consulting.

Not bad for a retired doctor.

(This post was edited by pugdog on May 21, 2005, 7:13 AM)

Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh,

I really like "Bead Banter" since it's supposed to be "fun" and "playful" too.

I moved this thread, since it really was getting way off topic for that area.

BeadShark

Re: [pugdog] Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again for all the information.

I hope you all the best.

If we are ever in Pittsburg, I'll be sure and look you up. (LOL, we usually hit all the bead stores in town anyway).

I still have this in my favorites bar, and still check it on a pretty regular basis. Kinda hard to have a conversation though, when it only seems that it is you and I in here chatting.

I'll see what I can do about pushing some of my other bead friends into checking-out this forum as well.

Have a great day!

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

purplemonster

Re: [BeadShark] Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

I've just (within the last 2 months) gone live with my bead webstore (I'm UK based) and am looking for advice on how to get people to it. I've advertised in a national magazine and that seems to have generated some traffic but our rankings on the search engines don't appear to be helping us out much! Does anyone have any idea how you get further up the list? I don't really want to pay as it seems that pay per click ads have not been working for you 2 - our meta tag has got all the right words in it - so what are we doing wrong? Any ideas??

Also, because the UK seems to be devoid of any decent beads Mad I import most of mine from the USA and wonder if anyone can direct me to the best wholesalers?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm hoping to open a 'proper' Smile store at some point in the future but I don't seem to be making a very good start at attracting customers!!

In case your interested in having a look my store is at www.beadillusions.com

Cheers!
purplemonster

Re: [purplemonster] Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Bringing in customers is the major problem of any business.

Advertising is a black hole that can eat you alive.

Location, Location, Location is the best thing, but that doesn't always mean top-dollar spaces. People will seek you out, so make sure you are listed EVERYWHERE. Give away business cards liberally. Get those cheap business card holders and ask if places where beader types frequent - boutiques, hair salons, etc -- will let you put your cards out.

What are you doing now to ramp up?

jackwilson1
Novice

Oct 8, 2022, 8:25 AM

Re: [BeadShark] Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for sharing this forum info and I would like to ask can I also advertise my website https://gbapps.net/ in this forum...?

ethanmiles

Re: [jackwilson1] Finding this forum, advertising and promotions [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for sharing this forum info and I would like to ask can I also advertise my website https://gbapps.net/ in this forum...?

Hey thank you so much for sharing about this site which I also like to visit while downloading any Modified verisons.