Home: Help Me!: How do I....?:
jump rings

becca187

jump rings Can't Post

Whenever I try to make jewelry that includes jump rings the jump rings end up opening up and I constantly have to be re-closing them. Is there a certain way to make them stay closed? Or a certain tool? Right now I'm just using needle nose pliers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: [becca187] jump rings [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way to prevent them from opening, is to solder them.

An alternative is to use split rings, or 2-3 loops.

You can also use a very _hard_ wire, but that is difficult to manipulate. If you start with a full hard silver, make the rings, then pound them a bit with a rubber or leather hammer, you may have reasonable luck. also, using a thicker wire, like an 18 or 20 gauge (round or square) can work, and become part of the design element.

Minimal success can be had with super glue, if the ends of the ring are well approximated.