Home: Chainmail: Starting Out:
update

Dec 16, 2003, 3:26 PM

update Can't Post

I haven't had much time in recent months to play with the chain maile.

I've made a few chains, and am still working on the sheet of cloth.

Anyone else reading these forums work with linked rings?

sinait

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

I work with linked rings all the time. It's what I make a lot of my jewelry out of, in combination with gemstones. I use nearly 100% gold filled in 18, 20 and 22 gauge wires for my rings; half hard. Full hard is too brittle. If you're interested, I can give you my URL to check some out.

Re: [sinait] update [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, feel free to post URL's to examples. People love seeing what others do.

What do you use to cut your rings? Do you go by hand, or use the jump ringer? I've heard so much mixed on the device, but have never seen one, much less used one.

I've been thinking of buying pre-cut rings from one of the distributors, but that would be in Al or brass, most likely. Sterling is too much for them, since most of their business seems to be from chain maille, not from jewelry makers.

sinait
Novice

Jan 8, 2004, 2:46 PM

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy all my rings pre-cut. I just don't have the $$ to buy a good jump ringer right now, and cutting by hand doesn't give a good flat edge on both sides. When you're making maille for armament purposes, two diagonal cuts are fine; for jewelry, two flat cuts gives a much nicer finish. Also, when you buy them pre-cut like that, they've been tumbled or otherwise de-burred which also gives a nicer finish. Also, I figured out the cost of cutting rings myself vs. buying pre-cut, and right now I can save money by buying pre-cut -- not to mention time and trouble! If I ever get to the point where I'm selling a lot of jewelry and using thousands of rings, I'll probably buy a ringer, but for now, by hand is great.

My jewelry site is www.chainweaver.com. It's not all inclusive on what I've made, but there's a good bit there.

Carol

Re: [sinait] update [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do you buy your rings?

I think the flat/straight cut rings look better over all, but a slight diagonal can add a bit of strength, as there is no direct line to open up in a pull. But that is preference :)

What material do you usually use?

For about $120 you can buy a vibrating tumbler that can deburr, polish, and take care of your rings before and after they are woven. The various materials -- shot, polish, buffers, walnut shells <G> are readily available from jewelry supply places.

sinait
Novice

Jan 9, 2004, 7:20 PM

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy my rings either at Rio, Fire Mountain, or from a local supplier in the Denver metro area.

$120 isn't bad...and walnut shells are also available at pet stores. But still, for the cost of time, wire and a ringer, it'll be a while before it's more economical to make my own versus buy them pre-cut.

So, I'll just buy them pre-cut and let my arthritic hands get worn out weaving them instead of cutting them :)

Carol

Ickmeister

Re: [sinait] update [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have any suggestions on wear to buy wire (on the internet) if I want to cut my own rings?

Feb 27, 2004, 4:47 PM

Re: [Ickmeister] update [In reply to] Can't Post

No, no one I've dealt with personally.

What sort of wire are you looking for?

sinait
Novice

Mar 14, 2004, 10:21 PM

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to a local bead shop, I've bought wire from Fire Mountain and Rio Grande ... both seem to have competetive pricing, and I've been very happy with service and quality from both.

Mar 15, 2004, 8:09 AM

Re: [sinait] update [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure FMG sells the type of wire we are looking for here :)

Rio may, I haven't seen their catalog in awhile.

Usually for this you use a slightly heavier gauge (18/20 even 16 or 14), in copper, aluminum or even stainless. Sterling is just *way* too expensive, and those cute little colored wires from the craft store don't look right.

sinait
Novice

Mar 16, 2004, 12:15 PM

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

No, craft wire just will NOT do! :)

There's a mail artisan's page, http://www.mailleartisans.org/ that might have links to what you're looking for.

What do you mean "usually for this"? Chainmaille in general, or wearable maille? Wearable, yes, I agree -- aluminum, stainless, copper. But I make jewelry, so I don't make the wearable stuff :) Therefore, I'm looking for the gold and silver wire, and both FMG and Rio have good selections. One of these days I'll experiment with a little niobium.

jackwilson1

Re: [pugdog] update [In reply to] Can't Post

I think update is amazing because whenever I get an update from this WhatsApp Plus which is downloaded at https://gbapps.net/, I get new and advance features and functions in it...