Home: General Discussions: Humor:
Is there any humor in bead land?

Is there any humor in bead land? Can't Post

I think the last "funny" thing I saw was the "discussion" on "Delica" beads not being only made by Miyuki, and coming on strands (an ebay thread). More pathetic than funny.

Are they any bead jokes?

BadBoyOfBeading
Novice

Jan 26, 2005, 9:23 PM

Re: [pugdog] Is there any humor in bead land? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried reading the copyright threads on the beadwork.about.com boards?

BeadShark

Re: [BadBoyOfBeading] Is there any humor in bead land? [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said before, the about.com forums are almost scary.

There is plenty of humor in beads. Have you seen some of the pieces out there??? LOL.

Our designer has also beaded some pieces that just plain make you laugh, or are so far from what she was going for that it is funny.

There is one piece that I don't like, so I call it the jelotonous blob, and her Mom thinks it's really pretty. Sorry, it just looks like a bunch of funky beads thrown together to me.

We have a running joke about how some people will buy anything, so I keep prompting her to come-out with a 3-D beaded trout, lol. I am sure there is someone out there just waiting for THIS masterpiece, lol.

Happy Beading!

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

Re: [BeadShark] Is there any humor in bead land? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the designs in B&B are of that ilk, and, unfortunately, Beadwork has a new publisher, (What happened to Jean?) and is moving to this unwearable blob-like collection of random beads.

These magazines are not supposed to be private showcases.

People buy them in the hopes of learning something, and being able to follow some plans to make something WEARABLE.

On the back end, the magazines are supposed to help the shops (and thus the advertisers) with "sell through" (eg: people excited to try some of the projects, so they go out and buy the supplies). The sell through has been dropping with Beadwork (and is abysmal with B&B). If the magazines don't inspire people to bead, and buy supplies, the advertisers will soon catch on, and the magazines will be in trouble.

Fortunately, people still do buy the magazines to look, and see the ads, so the advertisers are still getting a benefit.

But, when they have to decide where to cut costs.... if the magazines are not performing for them (eg: encouraging people to buy supplies to make the stuff in the magazines) that's where they'll cut.

People want to bead things to wear. Our customers come in and show off their new creations. They don't look like the c**p in the magazines. They are made to be worn, not "shown off" on a plastic bust.

I got a flier for a show, and they were promoting classes for one "designer". You should see the faces when I showed it to people -- and the costs. We have people who have finished their first beaded project who have made nicer things and spent far less.

Is "publish or perish" hitting the bead magazines now? Print something at all costs, forget the purpose, target or usefulness?

BeadShark

Re: [pugdog] Is there any humor in bead land? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the finished jewelry is used by FMG for their ads. We've never really had a finished piece in B&B, they always prefer to do one of our patterns instead. Which is just fine with us.

They had the Hummingbird pattern in their magazine a few years ago, and condensed our 30 pattern down to 3 magazine pages. We had several people come and order our pattern, for they felt the B&B pattern was a little complicated to understand.

It was weird, because we never contacted B&B or FMG, they contacted us. We send-in stuff every so often to FMG and they keep it about 6 months and use the pieces they want. Works for us. Do you know how much it would cost for me to have a full-page glossy back cover ad??? (CHA CHING).

We looked into placing an ad in B&B and was looking at close to $3000! A little out of our advertising realm. We get plenty of business at the moment, so we'll take it slow and steady, and upgrade to the next level when we feel we really need to.