Home: Business Issues and Advice: Problem Solving:
Problem for February 2003

Feb 19, 2003, 12:09 PM

Problem for February 2003 Can't Post

The month is mostly over, so this will be a short one.

Q: What would you give out, at a "mixer" to people you meet. Suppose it was a young professionals, or upcoming artists social, and people were there to meet, greet and network.

Would you give out your standard business card?

Would you create a "calling card" for your products?

Would you create a "calling card" for yourself?

Would you highlight one product, or service, or try to hit them all?

Would you have several cards, and pick which one(s) to hand out based on the conversation you were having at the moment?

And, in summary,

"Do you have a calling card, vs a business card to use at social events and occasions?"

There is no right or wrong answer. There probably aren't any good or bad answers. Just stuff to think about.

magickalmall
New User

Mar 10, 2003, 6:32 AM

Re: [pugdog] Problem for February 2003 [In reply to] Can't Post

Up to now I've just had one business card which promotes my major line of business, but as I add other business lines I think I need a very generic business card for when I'm talking to people. I think it would be difficult to cary multiple business cards, especially if you have more than 2 of them, or you cant carry but a few of each.
Cheryl @ magickalmall.com

Mar 10, 2003, 9:54 AM

Re: [magickalmall] Problem for February 2003 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I agree, and I find it more and more in the shop, that people want "my" card, ("your") card, especially if you have multiple lines (I do computer work, and a few others things unrelated to the shop).

Having a calling card, or a card that just promotes you and your main contact information is sort of classy :) If you have a website people can visit, the rest of the information would be there, easy for them to find.

I keep both cards by the register, and if conversation has gotten side tracked, often give them a second card, which is *very* different looking, and just lists me as the head of the parent company under that name. I keep my cards in a custom made wood card holder, but the store cards in acrylic uprights.

This would work at shows, fairs, etc anywhere you have a "stash".

As for carrying multiple cards: it might be a good idea to keep your business cards wherever you dress/undress or load your purse/wallet/keys, etc. Keep 2 of each card and reload daily. I keep a few emergency cards in my wallet, since giving out a beat up card, with "Wow, I do have one!" is better than not giving out a card :) The small card cases can usually hold 10 cards, which gives you flexibility to carry 2 of 5 cards, 4 of one card, and 1 of 6 other cards, <G>

My cards are very different. My personal one was quickprinted under one of the internet deals on a colored blue/black background, on the lightweight slick paper. Low budget, but catchy. My store cards I print up myself, on off-white stock, since we continue to tweak them now and again. In a card holder it's easy to see which card is which. They look less flashy, and actually cost more.

I'm really "out" on whether expensive raised letter, quality stock cards work better than print-your-own. (As long as you don't have the perforations, use a good quality ink/paper, etc). My grandfather used the cheapest cards he could, and gave them out 100's a week. He'd give a stack to anyone who'd take them and might give one to someone else. (The thinner the stock, the more cards he could give them in a 1/4 to 1" stack without them realizing it or say "That's too many" -- he was *smart* <G>)

I've been thinking of adding a third card, which I'd make browns most likely, for the fine woodworking and dollhouses. Again, I'd be able to pull the right one out of the card case.

Promotions are high on my mind at this time, as I'm trying to come up with an *effective* campaign for spring.

Thanks for posting!