Home: Help Me!: How do I....?:
How to make 3d Beadies

Emuishere

How to make 3d Beadies Can't Post

Hi!

I was wondering for the 3d beadies, if you make 2 of the patterns and wire them together or wire the sides together or something. Also I wanna do this one:
I've done lots of flat Beadies but no 3d ones, do you think this is too hard? if it is, if you know a good beginner site for it that'd be cool

Thanku!

Re: [Emuishere] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an AWESOME SITE!! How could I have missed it!

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mk.perles/

run it through http://babelfish.altavista.com for a pretty good french->english translation. (A heck of a lot better than their japanese to english! <G>)

It seems to be a variation of the 2-needle technique (which is the first thing I tried) that makes 3d items. THe first thing I made were aligator earrings, that people loved. I could not find more patterns to work from, and time to come up with them has always been an issue.

But this site is *LOADED*.

To answer your question about how hard, yes, they seem difficult. The suggestion is to use wire, but fish line (not nymo) would work reasonably well too. It's springier, so it will keep a shape, but it will also try to pop out of shape.

The directions may seem clear, but until I try one, i won't know (and I'm going to try one!)

The techniques page explains how to interpret the diagrams. The last row (or block) is the bottom, the top row(s) or block are the top. When there are more than one row on top, the items are sticking up.

I knew there had to be more 3d beading sites out there, and this is a great one. Thanks!

Emuishere
New User

May 13, 2005, 6:20 PM

Re: [pugdog] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanku!
Whats the 2 needle technique?

Re: [Emuishere] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

You start with a single length of stringing material, and put a needle on both ends. The first row is in the middle of the strand, the next rows sort of alternate front/back but you pass through each with the needles.

Hard to explain simply, but basically, by using two needles, you lock the beads in place on each row from both directions as you go along.

Emuishere
New User

May 14, 2005, 6:29 PM

Re: [pugdog] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx, instead of doing that (cause it sounds confusing) do u think i could make it like normal (but with the spikes 3d) and make 2 to wire together?

Re: [Emuishere] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

The pattern you have here, _is_ 3D. You need to look at the technique section on that site, to see how to interpret the pattern. If you follow it, you will make one critter, with a top and a bottom.

The only sort of thing making two of a patternworks for, is a flat fish. :)

colby65

Re: [pugdog] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

     Step 1
Conceptualize your 3-D design on paper, breaking it down to its two dimensional components. For example, if you were to do a table, you need the top of the table and a minimum of two side pieces to support it and raise the top off the ground. Step 2
Calculate how the pieces should lock together and note on your plans where you must leave a "slot" in your Perler beads for another piece to fit into. For example, with the table, if the legs are six Perler beads wide, you could leave two 1 by 4 bead openings on either side of the table top so the legs fit in, and you would narrow the top of your table leg from 6 to 4 beads for one row to create the "peg" that slides into the tabletop slot. Step 3
Place the pegs for the two-dimension component on the Perler bead peg board to form the object. Step 4
Follow the manufacturer's directions on the packaging to place a piece of parchment paper over the beads on the board and iron them until they fuse together. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for every two-dimensional piece that makes up your 3D design. Step 5
Let the pieces cool, then place the pegs you designed into the slots you left open and you now have a 3D Perler bead design.

Forest

Re: [colby65] How to make 3d Beadies [In reply to] Can't Post

are you sure it"s for you?