Home: Help Me!: How do I....?:
Repair a fractured gemstone- Is it possible?

Tanya

Repair a fractured gemstone- Is it possible? Can't Post

Dear pugdog, You seem to know alot about gems and such so I was wondering if you could tell me whether ( I beleive it's called opticon fracture sealer) I've seen in some catologs would mend a fracture in tanzanite. I have a oval cut stone in a ring that I've managed to get a break accross the center. I can feel the fracture line as well as see it - I'm afraid to wear it since I'm afraid it will eventully come apart and I'd lose the stone. Anyway if you know of any way I could repair it- at least well enuogh to wear the ring I would appreciate the advice. Also did you get my address so I could sign up for the bead clubs?

Re: [Tanya] Repair a fractured gemstone- Is it possible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

1) got the address, but have to re-do the fliers. They were stolen with the computer, and I had no back up, since I was just doing them, and all I have is one print out (lucky me!).

2) I have used that to seal crystal factures, in quartz. I don't know if it will work for tanzanite or not, or on that particular fracture.

Here is a site that voices what I had remembered about the stone:
http://www.tanzaniteltd.com/tanzanite1.htm

If the stone is set against the ring, you might be able to glue/seal it to the base, and thus increase it's strength. If it's a faceted item, and set off from the base, then there will always be a risk of the fracture line separating and the stone falling out.

I could not find anything specific on repairing a tanzanite stone, and I guess it would depend on the the stone itself, and the type of fracture. A single crack, without smaller cracks or shards falling off would potentially repair better, and a flat-backed stone would repair better than a faceted gem.

That's about all I can find, sorry!

Tanya

Re: [pugdog] Repair a fractured gemstone- Is it possible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, That helps-and it's more than I knew before. Tanya