Home: Help Me!: How do I....?:
finishing loomed projects

marie
New User

Jan 8, 2004, 7:16 PM

finishing loomed projects Can't Post

Any suggestions on finishing off loom projects beside braiding? I love the work but hate the finishing process. I want a more finished look thanks marie.

magdesign
New User

Jan 19, 2004, 12:13 PM

Re: [marie] finishing loomed projects [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried pulling your warp threads?

This works if you have a continuous warp thread. For practice weave a small, one inch wide by two inches long, piece of beading on your loom. Be very careful not to split your warp threads with your needle. A way do reduce the chance of this happening is by blunting your needle slightly on an emery board before weaving.

When you are finished weaving the piece carefully remove it from the loom. Lay it on a smooth flat surface and tape it down over the beads. Then start pulling your threads, one at a time, beginning at the middle and working out to the sides. Alternate pulling from the top and the bottom. Your are basically pulling the long loops that held your piece on the loom up against the beads at each end of your piece. Do not pull them too snugly or you will deform your piece.

When you have finished pulling your thread you should have very long thread coming out of each end of your work plus the end of your weft thread. Cut these threads to a workable length and weave them into your work.

I have heard of this being called the "pull-and-pray" method-perhaps if you do an internet search you will find some more information.

Hope that helps,

Magdesign.

marie
New User

Jan 27, 2004, 7:08 PM

Re: [magdesign] finishing loomed projects [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the information, I don't use a continous warp thread. But will give a try and see how it works

Celticlady
Novice

Feb 1, 2004, 12:49 PM

Re: [marie] finishing loomed projects [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of doing some loom work and was dreading the finishing, but now I think I'll give this trick a try!

UNSUBSCRIBE

Re: [magdesign] finishing loomed projects [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never heard of this method! i will have to give this a go!

beadfreak
New User

Aug 15, 2005, 11:11 PM

Re: [marie] finishing loomed projects [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a great book by sadie starr that has alot of seed beads projects that are amazing...I think it is printed by sadie starr. Try to google it. I have both volumes and they are great.