Home: Business Issues and Advice: General Questions:
Photographing your work

Apr 3, 2003, 11:49 AM

Photographing your work Can't Post

Anyone who has ever tried to sell work on-line (website, gallery, ebay, etc) has found out that the quality of the photograph often determines the final value of the item.

Great quality items go for pennies on the dollar when the photography is non existant or substandard, while cheap knock offs get top dollar when attention is paid to the photography.

It's all packaging and presentation.

What can you do to increase the "value" of your work? Take better photos!

Invest in a higher-end digital camera. They will _save_ _save_ _save_ in the long run! Once you buy the camera, the only cost is batteries, and you can get around most of that with a power cord (another $30-40 for a top-notch cord). Get some extra lights, to help minimize the on-camera flash, or plan to take your pictures when the sun is out. Use open shade (indirect, but bright light) and minimize reflections.

The savings come in with the digital camera since you immediately see whether you got the photo or not, and can keep taking pictures til you find one you like. With your laptop near by, you can transfer the photos immediately, and keep shooting. You don't even need to keep all the photos you take, so your storage costs are cheaper too! Most computers come with writeable CD's and the media is now about $0.50 for 600+ meg. That's several rolls of "film."

I hope to add more specifics to this as time goes on. Photography was my first hobby, and my income for most of my first 3 decades.

BeadShark
Novice

May 4, 2005, 11:32 PM

Re: [pugdog] Photographing your work [In reply to] Can't Post

We have an awsome Sony 10x zoom digital camera that we purchased about 4 years ago. It uses an A:/ disc to store it's pictures on, so you can open them on any computer. (Well, used to be able to, my 2 laptops don't have the A:/ anymore) But anyway.....it takes great pictures.

We have florecent lighting in our bead gallery, so most of our pictures are taken under that lighting. Of course, our designer is also a web-designer, so she plays with the lighting in her art program anyway. yes we take LOTS AND LOTS of pictures. They are free, lol. She will find the best one, and work with it. Of course, a lot of our jewelry is scanable, so we just slap it in the scanner and go.

We paid about $400 for the camera new, and I have bought and returned 4 camera's that were more expensice since then, for they did not take as good a picture. I am looking on eBay for another camera like the one I have for they don't make that model with the 10x zoom anymore. they have 5x, but it is not as crisp a picture.

Well, just my 2 cents worth Smile

BeadShark
Visit our website at http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/

carsonvictoria05
New User

Feb 3, 2019, 11:31 PM

Re: [pugdog] Photographing your work [In reply to] Can't Post

It's for my photography class that I am taking, I needed to accomplish something with Christmas lights or I may cut a pumpkin and put a flame amidst it.assignment writing service What settings would it be advisable for me to have my camera for this? I have a standard renegade t3i.

amyjones

Re: [pugdog] Photographing your work [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! I assume that every student once during studying at college ordered different kind of paper at writing service. I want to recommend a http://essays-writers.net/ which can do your paper tasks. Our essay writer service has been known worldwide as one of the most trustworthy, reliable, industrious, and devoted service in the online academic writing industry.