Home: General Discussions: Beading Issues - Surveys, Questions and Calls for:
Bali beads from India?? NOT!!!!

Mar 25, 2005, 10:11 AM

Bali beads from India?? NOT!!!! Can't Post

I was contacted yesterday by a company that said they could beat my silver prices on Bali beads. I wondered how, since the prices I get are very competitive, and seem to be the going wholesale rates for the volume I buy. I don't consider a one cent difference significant, or even 2 cents, since there are other issues that come into play, such as responsiveness, service, etc. But that's another "issue."

When I went to their site, I realized they are an Indian company. Following a few links, I found this page:

http://www.silverbeadswholesale.com/

What's wrong with that?

Bali Beads can *ONLY* -- and I stress ONLY come from Bali, in Indonesia. They cannot, under any circumstance come from anywhere else. Ok -- let's rephrase that. They can only be MADE in Bali. They can be bought and sold anywhere. But they must be MADE IN BALI, INDONESIA!

This is a fraud -- and I use that term very specifically -- perpetrated upon unsavvy buyers, to call something "Bali" and have it made in India, China, or anywhere else. It might look like Bali, it might be made like Bali (although they are usually CAST not hand assembled), but it cannot be, and should not be allowed to be called Bali.

Now this company is in NY, and I'm going to inquire with the NY Attourney Generals Office, if such advertising violates their trade laws, since NY almost has their own foreign policies. But, I'm somewhat angry at this.

Bali Beads are a product of Bali, Indonesia, and Indonesia *NEEDS* all the support it can get. Even before the Tsunami, but especially after. To allow other countries to call their silver "Bali" should not be allowed, and depeneding on the reply I get from the NYS AG, I may start a bead-community wide campaign to make sure only REAL BALI can be called "BALI" and everything else has to be called "BALI-LIKE". That's only FAIR TRADE, and Indonesia has "Developing Nation" status, as stamped on my customs import forms with each shipment.

We really do import directly from Bali, and our (surprisingly few) customers that have had a bead break or detail fall off, are not very upset, since it's actual proof as to how the beads are made and assembled. When this happens you can see that the detail is added on, not cast or molded. That the rings and balls are fused, not cast. It's a much more beautiful bead, but like glass bumpy beads, there will be defects, breakage, and such.

Making real Bali Beads in the Bali Style, is labor intensive, and real artisan and craftsman work.

When shopping for beads, and looking for BALI BEADS, make sure they really are from Bali! As I posted here:

http://beadbanter.com/..._%26_Indonesia_P502/

after the Tsunami, if the price is really different, or less than the average, you need to be suspect.

I have a feeling many of the "bali silver" and "bali bead" jewelry being sold is *NOT* REAL BALI! This website, and advertising shows just what can go on in an unmoderated market -- and gems/jewelry is overall pretty well moderated!

Mar 25, 2005, 10:56 AM

Re: [pugdog] Bali beads from India?? NOT!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I filed the complaint with the OAG in NYS.

I won't post it here, but it says pretty much the above.

I'm awaiting a response, and will keep this updated.

Blanca90
New User

Feb 27, 2019, 10:43 PM

Re: [pugdog] Bali beads from India?? NOT!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great, Now Indians are developing their-selves with a full speed, I keep used to visit India once in a month for attending my Seminar named as i need essay help Actually this is for our Writing services sponsors. So that is why I know so much about India. Beading oil is one their best project I ever seen there.

(This post was edited by Blanca90 on Feb 28, 2019, 12:33 AM)