Vermeil durability

sinait

Vermeil durability Can't Post

Normally, I use all gold-filled findings, and am well aware of its durability and wearability. I've used gold plated findings in the past, but find that after only a few wearings, the gold is gone, leaving brass behind. (One pair of chain earrings I worked several hours on, the gold wore off after only 1 wearing! -- cheap stuff). So, I'm not real thrilled with regular gold plated stuff. So the question I have is about the durability/wearability of vermeil. I've seen some gorgeous findings -- clasps, bali-style beads, etc. -- in vermeil, but because I don't know how well they will last, I've been hesitant to purchase. How long will the plating on "good" vermeil last, generally speaking, compared to "standard" gold plating? Is it worth investing in the vermeil, or should I just stick to gold filled for the best quality without moving to karat gold?

Thanks :)

Re: [sinait] Vermeil durability [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, any plating will wear off. Vermeil should last longer than standard gold plating. It's gold over silver and that has a better bond.

Gold filled offers the best compromise of durability vs cost, but the process does not allow the same variety that plating does (either standard plate, or vermeil).

ClaytonAngelo

Re: [sinait] Vermeil durability [In reply to] Can't Post

Vermeil durability is indeed one major subject to learn about, I have been doing a few different custom dissertation writing and all the information I get to catch from you is great, Thank you once again for the share

(This post was edited by ClaytonAngelo on Jul 31, 2018, 1:39 AM)