Home: Announcements: BeadCon - Pittsburgh:
Bead Show

Pberkley
New User

Jul 12, 2004, 6:32 PM

Bead Show Can't Post

There is a bead show in Pgh. in November at the Holiday Inn at Old Exit 5 of the Turnpike (Freeport). Saw it advertised in a bead magazine this week.

Re: [Pberkley] Bead Show [In reply to] Can't Post

It's from Jane's Fiber and Beads. http://www.beadmercantile.com/pittsbg2showinfo04.htm

Our customers tell us the past 2 shows have been, well, underwhelming.

About 2 years ago, they were advertising for vendors, and name, for their expansion into the north east. We contacted them, specifically about co-promoting a Pittsburgh show, and they were, well quite frankly, quite rude.

We did not try again.

Our interest is not in a travelling show, but a regular, recurring Pittsburgh show, that is tailored to the Pittsburgh market. It would have been nice to work with a group that was already booking shows, but we are still looking to set one up on our own.

We've made some contacts, have a possible location, and are looking at dates, and scheduling.

We've got the idea for a show on a recurring basis, perhaps every 2 months, on the same weekend -- like the 3rd weekend of every odd-number month. This skips Christmas, the big no-no land, but gives a show right before and right after.

If travelling vendors know that every 3rd weekend of every odd month, there is a show in Pittsburgh, they can adjust their travel plans, and grab a spot as their schedule allows.

Local people know that certain vendors will be back on a regular basis, and can plan to visit the show on a regular basis.

Vendors who show up regularly can plan on what to bring for regular customers, or the Pittsburgh market specifically.

We don't see the shows as competition. If we can encourage a more active beading community, everyone wins. We'd even like to see the other bead shops in and around town there.

No vendor can carry every item. It's not possible. We are open 6-days a week, with late hours, and can meet immediate needs, throughout the year. But, travelling vendors pick up great items along their way, and can often bring with them items not seen in other venues.

Local artists will be able to show off their finished works, or components.

Pittsburgh has an active glass community, yet despite all the inquiries NO ONE has brought their glass/lampwork beads into our shop!

Pittsburgh is a funny town. We've lived and worked here for the better part of 3 decades. It's our town, and we'd like to have a really great convention/show that people can get excited about -- and do it more than once or twice a year.

akseozy
New User

Apr 21, 2013, 6:33 PM

Re: [Pberkley] Bead Show [In reply to] Can't Post

Turquoise charms, I like it.