Home: Announcements: Announcements:
African beads -- smaller strands

One of the issues with our African beads, is they come on double-length strands, and many are higher-priced, hand made, or vintage. Getting a $45 or $145 strand of all the same bead has apparantly been intimidating to most people (judging by what I see when I'm unpacking). [It's funny what you see when you aren't seeing it all the time, or from a different angle]

So, with many of the beads, we've cut them down into 6" strands, strands of 15 or 25, or in some cases even 5 (when they are all the same, sort of "focal" in style).

Hopefully, this will encourage you to try some of the different strands.

These short strands range from $8 to $45, rather than the $45-$250 they were in the full length, and can be more easily worked into a single, or small number, of creations.

These African beads are very, very unique, and can be what you need to make your work stand out, and to attract the market for "vintage" and "authentic" beads.

Because of how they were sold (by the full strand, and at higher price) they were not a common item in most bead shops. A shop would have to make a decision to buy _ONE_ strand of a lot of similar beads. It would tie up cash, and maybe only 1/2 or even 1/4 of the beads would sell. By cutting up these strands, we offer you the ability to be creative with a VARIETY of beads that would ordinarily or usually be unavailable to you.

These beads are mostly glass/porcelain/ceramic or bone. There are also metal beads in brass, copper and nickel silver. Many are larger, focal or accent style (except the metal ones which are mostly spacers). They mostly have a larger hole, 1mm-3mm. They are most often hand-made, so no two beads are exactly alike, and the best you can hope for is "similar" :)

So, we have about half the African inventory out, and are working to get the other half out ASAP.